I am not a photographer, but I like making pictures. When I take a photograph I look through the lens as if I were making a painting. Some of my pictures I may well use in the future for reference when I’m making a piece of work. They are visual prompts; reminders of places, objects or people that interest me or capture my imagination. 99% of the photographs on this blog have been taken with an iPhone , the remaining 1% with a Canon 5D in both Manual and Automatic mode. Before I reveal my trade secrets I’d like to introduce you to a few WordPress bloggers whose photography is second to none and who each display the skills of true photographers. Not only do they create beautiful pictures but they are truly knowledgable in their art. These guys have spent years mastering the art of photography both in analog and digital, and I am in awe of them. Please check out their blogs, you won’t be disappointed.
http://ajh57.wordpress.com Andrew is a fantastic photographer. He has a fabulous eye, a wicked sense of humour and is far too self-depracating. His recent trip to Antarctica and the photographs that ensued are quite breathtakingly beautiful. He has a keen sense of fun, but in matters of photography he is a consummate professional and knows his stuff.
http://sggphoto.wordpress.com Steve lives in America and takes stunning photographs of landscapes and nature. I’ve only recently started to follow him but I’m smitten by his pictures and envious of how he captures nature and his surroundings at their finest.
http://pjbrezphotography.wordpress.com PJ only uses analog and doesn’t mess about with digital cameras. I love the rawness of his pictures and his composition. I have great respect for him as a photographer.
http://www.leannecole.com.au leanne lives in Australia. She has a marvellous website which showcases her photographs beautifully. She talks the reader through the various stages and workings of each photograph and gives technical advice where appropriate. She photographs urban scenes, as well as landscapes and I especially admire her way of capturing buildings.
There are many, many photography blogs which I follow and like, but these 4 have qualities that I especially admire and envy!
Let’s get back to my cheating.
I’ve learnt quite a bit from reading blogs here on WordPress and have picked up lots of helpful tips and advice from the generous folks that have been kind enough to share their information. I felt it was time that I did something similar, there is no secret or skill to what I do. Many of you reading this will already be aware of the photo apps that are available to download to your phone. I’m often asked about my pictures and I’m happy to share the apps that I use with you – if it helps in anyway then that’s a job well done! There is no science, it is simply a case of finding ones that work for you and then downloading them.
Aside from the normal camera on the phone, I have downloaded 4 other apps. Instagram which I never use, Pro HDR which is pretty special but you need a steady hand! Google Snapseed and my favourite Tadaa. The only one that I had to pay for was Pro HDR, all the rest were free. The reason that I love Tadaa is that it comes with a variety of filters and options all which are easy to use. I just point and shoot then save with my filter of choice.
I’d love to hear what apps you have for taking photographs on your phone. If you have any that you’d like to share in the comments – Go for it!